Here for a Reason: Planned Parenthood Performs Almost 200 Abortions for Every One Adoption Referral
Annual Report Shows Abortions Are Nearly 100% of Planned Parenthood’s Pregnancy Resolution Activities
Washington, D.C. – Planned Parenthood performed 383,460 abortions in 2019-2020 according to their latest annual report, performing almost 200 abortions for every one adoption referral.
Nichole C. Wilson, executive director of Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), said:
“Planned Parenthood’s annual report is titled ‘Here for a Reason’ and their own data shows that reason is abortion. Planned Parenthood’s callous disregard for those less fortunate is evident when you consider they performed fewer than 3,000 cases of miscarriage care and fewer than 2,000 adoption referrals in an entire year but performed almost 400,000 abortions on vulnerable women and girls.”
According to CLI’s analysis of Planned Parenthood’s 2020-2021 annual report:
- Planned Parenthood performed 383,460 abortions in 2019-2020 (their highest number ever).
- For every one adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 198 abortions.
- Abortion makes up 96.6% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy resolution activities:
- Prenatal services: 2% (8,775 vs. 383,460 abortions)
- Miscarriage care: 0.7% (2,793 vs. 383,460 abortions)
- Adoption referrals: 0.5% (1,940 vs. 383,460 abortions)
- Prenatal services performed by Planned Parenthood decreased by 72% over the past decade.
- Contraceptive services performed by Planned Parenthood have decreased 41% over the past decade.
- While Planned Parenthood performed nearly 30,000 more abortions in 2019-2020, the number of individuals seen at Planned Parenthood has decreased by 240,000 from just the prior reporting year.
Elizabeth Kirk, J.D., a family law expert who serves as Director of the Center for Law and the Human Person at Catholic University and a legal scholar at Charlotte Lozier Institute, said:
“Tragically, anti-adoption rhetoric has spiked since the Dobbs decision with the cynical message that supporting both mother and baby through the adoption process is coercive, requiring women to go through ‘forced birth.’
“Actually, their messaging makes sense when you consider Planned Parenthood’s business model. For every woman who receives an adoption referral that would preserve her child’s life, Planned Parenthood performs 198 abortions. Such a lopsided statistic demonstrates that women served by Planned Parenthood are not offered meaningful choices. When seeking help from Planned Parenthood, women are presented with one real ‘choice’: abortion.
“Sharing information with women about abortion alternatives, including the possibility of placing a child with one of the estimated two million families waiting to adopt, is not coercive. Women and their children deserve a more hopeful, empowering vision for their future than they receive from Planned Parenthood.”
Professor Kirk will host a panel discussion on “The Role of Adoption in a Post-Dobbs America” on Thursday, September 22nd, 5:30 P.M., at the Columbus School of Law at the Catholic University of America.
Click here for CLI’s full analysis of Planned Parenthood’s 2020-2021 annual report.
Charlotte Lozier Institute was launched in 2011 as the education and research arm of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America. CLI is a hub for research and public policy analysis on some of the most pressing issues facing the United States and nations around the world. The Institute is named for a feminist physician known for her commitment to the sanctity of human life and equal career and educational opportunities for women.