FACT SHEET: Planned Parenthood Facilities Outnumbered 14 to 1
Last updated: July 11, 2022. This entire report may be viewed as a PDF: Fact Sheet: Planned Parenthood Facilities Outnumbered 14 to 1
Community-Based Health Clinics & Pregnancy Centers vs. Planned Parenthood
- There are 14 community-based health clinics offering comprehensive women’s care and pro-life pregnancy centers offering holistic pregnancy support for every Planned Parenthood facility in the United States.
- That’s over 8,000 better women’s services providers compared to just 585 Planned Parenthood locations.
- 5,300 Federally Qualified Health Center sites that specifically offer women’s health services.
- 2,700 pro-life pregnancy centers that annually serve millions of women and families with hundreds of millions of dollars in holistic support at little or no cost to the client.
- FULL ANALYSIS, including maps and state-by-state breakdown: org/realchoices
Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) help those in need
- FQHCs are community-based health care providers vetted and funded by the federal government to provide comprehensive healthcare services to low-income, vulnerable, and underserved populations.
- Charlotte Lozier Institute’s analysis includes only FQHC sites that specifically advertise women’s health services, including OB/GYN care, well-women care, and prenatal care.
- FQHCs provide services on a sliding scale to make healthcare affordable and widely available to those in need.
Pro-Life Pregnancy Centers help those in need
- Pro-life pregnancy centers support pregnant women facing difficult circumstances with medical care and referrals, education, mentoring, and material support including diapers, car seats, and clothing.
- In 2019, locally-operated pro-life pregnancy centers served roughly 2 million women, men, and youth with nearly $270 million in services at little or no cost.
- Analysis shows pro-life pregnancy centers partnered with pregnant women considering abortion to save more than 800,000 lives in a 5 year period.
Planned Parenthood performs abortions
- Abortions were 4% of all pregnancy resolution services offered by Planned Parenthood, according to its 2019-2020 report. Prenatal care, miscarriage care, and adoption referrals together accounted for less than 4% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy care services.
- Planned Parenthood affiliates are performing more abortions even as the total number of patients goes down, according to a Charlotte Lozier Institute analysis of publicly available abortion data from 19 Planned Parenthood affiliates covering 40% of locations in FY2020. One affiliate reported a 31% increase in abortions despite a 12% decline in patients.
- Planned Parenthood has closed several facilities as a result of reviewing “patient needs” in light of the Dobbs Supreme Court case.
FQHCs compared with Planned Parenthood facilities
In 2019, a year with publicly available service data from both Planned Parenthood and FQHCs:
- Of all locations, including sites not specifically included in the map, FQHCs had 932,683 patient visits for mammograms, compared with 0 reported by Planned Parenthood, whose facilities are not FDA certified mammography facilities.
- Of all locations, FQHCs provided more than 9 million pap tests, which is 7 times more than provided at Planned Parenthood.
- Of all locations, FQHCs saw 14,206,602 patients using Medicaid, which is nearly 6 times the total number of all Planned Parenthood clients.