CLI Report: Thousands of Pregnancy Centers Nationwide Served Nearly 2,000,000 People in 2017, Saving Communities at Least $161 Million
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 21, 2018
Contact: Nicole Stacy, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-223-8073
Washington, D.C. – In response to news that a Hawaii law forcing pro-life pregnancy centers to advertise abortion has been struck down in federal court, Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), the research and education arm of Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List), released the following statement:
“We are pleased that pro-life pregnancy centers’ constitutional rights have been upheld yet again and another onerous, harmful mandate struck down,” said Charlotte Lozier Institute President Chuck Donovan. “Not only did state lawmakers infringe on free speech in attempting to force centers to promote abortion, they did a great disservice to women and families seeking help in dire circumstances – help freely and lovingly provided at thousands of pregnancy centers around the country. We hope this ruling, coming on the heels of victory at the Supreme Court in June, resounds nationwide and at every level of government: attacks on these centers, their life-affirming mission, and the invaluable services they provide will not stand.”
CLI Associate Scholar Moira Gaul, M.P.H., co-author of a recent CLI report detailing the extraordinary social service contributions of approximately 2,600 pregnancy centers (affiliated with national networks and/or smaller parent organizations) in the United States, added:
“For 50 years, pregnancy centers have specialized in abortion alternatives, offering hope and support through life-affirming options to women considering abortion and searching for help. Their broad spectrum of services reaches women, men, youth, and families with encouragement, vital health information, education, and healing. Their tireless and noble efforts should be celebrated.”
Key findings in the new report, titled A Half Century of Hope, a Legacy of Life and Love, include:
- In 2017, pregnancy centers provided almost 2,000,000 people with free services, with estimated community cost savings of at least $161 million annually.
- 2,752 center locations nationwide provide vital services including medical services, parenting programs, and sexual risk avoidance education.
- More than seven in 10 locations offer free ultrasounds (up 24 percent since 2010).
- 400,100 hours of free services were contributed by credentialed nurse sonographers and registered diagnostic medical sonographers in 2017.
- 100 mobile units with ultrasound are on the road to bring services to women out in the community.
- 30,000 contacts per month reach Heartbeat International’s Option Line hotline and email/chat lines.
- 67,400 volunteers serve pregnancy centers, including an estimated 7,500 medical professionals who freely give of their time and skills.
- Centers carried out 679,600 free pregnancy tests in 2017.
- 295,900 moms and dads attended parenting courses.
- 24,100 after-abortion support clients were seen in 2017 (services include support, counseling, and referral to professional help when appropriate for both women and men).
- More than 1 million students attended community-based sexual risk avoidance education presentations in 2017.
CLI’s prior research reveals that an overwhelming majority of Americans, regardless of whether they self-identify as “pro-life” or “pro-choice,” consider pregnancy centers a valuable community resource. Post-visit surveys indicate centers have extraordinarily high rates of client satisfaction.
Charlotte Lozier Institute was launched in 2011 as the education and research arm of Susan B. Anthony List. CLI is a hub for research and public policy analysis on some of the most pressing issues facing the United States and nations around the world. The Institute is named for a feminist physician known for her commitment to the sanctity of human life and equal career and educational opportunities for women.